root almighty

Max max at darim.com
Tue May 19 08:53:15 CEST 2009

Hello.

As far as I know most (all?) distributions for FR use root account to
run phone application and to access device via ssh. To my mind this
introduce great security risk.

At the same time on my Ubuntu by default root is unable to logon anyhow
and everything is done via sudo. This lets me think that there is no
need to use root account on FR - at least not for running phone
application and for remote access.

I wonder - is there distribution which tried to address this issue?
Are there any plans to use regular user instead of root in om2009?
Maybe using package-kit (which works via dbus btw) and policy-kit might
help?

best regards,
Max.