New Life in Openmoko Phones

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue May 19 16:52:22 CEST 2009

> For me, I think you've hit the nail on the head.  We're trying something
> new with gta02-core, and by working on the small changes we've proposed
> we can focus on the tools that we use, the organisation of individual
> contributors and the stages we need to go through to get functional
> hardware.  Doing gta02-core means that we should be able to move forward
> fairly rapidly and shake out any problems as we go.  For that aim, the
> specific changes we make are almost arbitrary - and as stated on the
> wiki we don't expect this to turn into production hardware.

That still doesn't explain why removing one of the two accelerometers is
a good idea.  What is the benefit?  Why not remove them both?
Is it that all the programs that use the accelerometers (as of now) only
use one of the two?  Is it that having two accelerometers introduces
layout difficulties?  Is it that there aren't enough interrupt lines on
the SoC to properly support the two accelerometers? ...

Since it was decided to remove it, there must have been some kind of
expected benefit.

I actually have the same question for the audio-amp: why remove it?
But that one is a bit more complicated, because I'm not sure what is
this "audio-amp" anyway (is it the thing that drives the
headphone plug?)

        Stefan