root almighty

GNUtoo GNUtoo at no-log.org
Wed May 20 00:31:27 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 21:56 +0100, Juergen Schinker wrote:

> >> Only on a superficial level can that be true. It has less restrictions
> >> than the
> >> GPL because the later tries to make sure everyone has all the essencial
> >> freedoms.
> >>
> >> APL2 (and similar licenses) mean that somewhere along the line YOU may not
> >> have
> >> a Free Software phone on your hands, just another proprietary piece of
> >> crap.
> >>

> Please read the Criticism on wikipedia about android
>
> and than this
>
> http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2009/02/an-introduction-to-google-android-for-developers.ars
This article makes android looks fine but I have several briefs and
questions against android:

About android hardware:
*Can the HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1) developer version run without its
proprietary ATI 3d driver...I bet it can?
*Can the HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1) developer version be fully modified in
order to run an OS like the openmoko one? (maybe I could try if I buy an
android...I know my way around openembedded(I've commit access) ) but
I've already an openmoko and a bug device from buglabs.

About the android port of the openmoko:
I heard There were several limitations such as:
*all hardware not fully functional yet (wifi,calls,suspend etc...):
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Android_usage
*has problem with booting:
you need SD+flash in order to run android
maybe using a distro on sd and android on flash+another SD could do the
trick?

About the android OS:
*Is the SDK free(as in freedom) software...I bet it isn't but I could be
wrong...this could stop me from trying the android OS
*it could be difficult to run applications depending on glibc...I didn't
test bionic(android libc) compatibility...in openembedded we also have
others libc...such as uclibc
*I don't know android build system...maybe porting the android OS to
openembedded could be a good idea...

Denis.