[Om2009] testing Release 3: first impressions

Toni Mueller support at oeko.net
Wed May 20 12:50:56 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, 20.05.2009 at 12:26:46 +0300, Risto H. Kurppa <risto at kurppa.fi> wrote:
> I've been told that you can install the package udev-static-devices to
> reduce the boot time by ~30s (but if you have your home on
> /media/disk/bind-home, it'll not work, see
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om2009#Installing ) - stuff still under
> development.

thanks for the tip. I'll take a look, although I'm going to have my
home entirely on the SD card, for obvious reasons.

> > On the plus side, typing about anything is now MUCH, MUCH faster than
> > with Om2008.12 which I had before.
> What kind of keyboard would you like to have there?

So far, I didn't really care much for the different keyboards, but if I
can have a wish, I'd like response times like the current keyboard in
Paroli gives (ie, it immediately gives results as fast as I can type),
not as sluggish with 1-2 second pauses between key presses, like in
Om2008.12, but something that gives me easy ways to type all
"characters" that I'd like to have, which is *full* Unicode (or close:
Latin9 and Chinese at least). On my desktop computer, I use scim for
this purpose, and for other languages as well. Otherwise, I'd like to
be able to zoom and shrink the keyboard. The idea of scrolling between
different layouts, like in Om2008.12, is interesting and not too bad,
but it's naturally impossible to accommodate all foreign language
characters this way and still have a usable keyboard.

Reading that wishes are not encouraged at this time, I'd probably
better not hold my breath, though.

> I installed qwo
> (http://www.opkg.org/package_84.html) just to try it out - not bad :)
> Should try the transparent version:
> http://kedrigern.dcs.fmph.uniba.sk/~riso/Openmoko/qwo/

Thanks, I'll take a look at these, too. Adjustable transparency,
colours and layouts are good, imho.

Kind regards,
--Toni++