[Om2009] testing Release 3: first impressions

Angus Ainslie nytowl at openmoko.org
Wed May 20 16:04:11 CEST 2009

> So far, I didn't really care much for the different keyboards, but if I
> can have a wish, I'd like response times like the current keyboard in
> Paroli gives (ie, it immediately gives results as fast as I can type),
> not as sluggish with 1-2 second pauses between key presses, like in
> Om2008.12, but something that gives me easy ways to type all
> "characters" that I'd like to have, which is *full* Unicode (or close:
> Latin9 and Chinese at least). On my desktop computer, I use scim for
> this purpose, and for other languages as well. Otherwise, I'd like to
> be able to zoom and shrink the keyboard. The idea of scrolling between
> different layouts, like in Om2008.12, is interesting and not too bad,
> but it's naturally impossible to accommodate all foreign language
> characters this way and still have a usable keyboard.

UTF8 should be properly supported in the next testing release. I believe there
are a few different keyboard layouts in the wiki.

> Reading that wishes are not encouraged at this time, I'd probably
> better not hold my breath, though.

That has changed a bit. We are now encouraging the community to create a wish
list. What we also need the community to do is implement the wish list.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om_2009_get_active

There are some core features that OM is going to implement and then we will
integrate working solutions built by the community.

Angus