root almighty

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Wed May 20 17:11:06 CEST 2009

GNUtoo wrote:
> *a free version compilable from source without "google stuff"(such as
> maps)
> I was told I had to gab source.android.com, type make and then make sdk

Yes, a hand full of Google apps are unfree.
But what I find amazing is, that they cust comply to a known api as any
other program could do. So you can in fact repace them without yinxing
usability. Even on a 'official' android device.

> so I think I'll try android...but I'll look first if it's tight to
> google services...(I'm already spied a lot using google search
> engine...I don't want to be spied more)

_that_ is a real issue for me too. I use a G1 for a while now, and I
mostely like it. Though it has serious problems.
But the fact that is not even intended not to have a google account and
not having your contacts and calendars mirrored in the google cloud is
really annoying. Not not annoying, it angers me greatly.

And Bluetooth support is a mess. No OBEX, no FTP nothing useful.
Imagine a smartphone where you can't send contacts via bluetooth! (ok,
varous OM distros don't do it out of the box too...)

--
MFG
 Tilman Baumann