New Life in Openmoko Phones

Martin Bernreuther MartinBern at web.de
Wed May 20 19:48:44 CEST 2009

Am Mittwoch, 20. Mai 2009 schrieb Dave Ball:
> No - changing uSD holder isn't part of the GTA02-core plans.
>
> In GTA02-core the intention is that the uSD card contains the full OS
> image including kernel.  The NAND will only contain QI, and the
> expectation is that QI won't need to be re-flashed regularly.
> GTA02-core can't start if the card is missing, and there's no
> possibility of swapping out the card while the phone is switched on.
>
> Thus the uSD is rather like a standard PC's OS hard drive, and rather
> unlike 'removable' media types.

One reason I regulary remove my uSD card from the FR to
put it in a card reader is the incredible slow USB 1.1 port.
1GB with 12 Mbit/s is more than 11 min (but 12 Mbit/s will never be reached)
The PC world moves to USB 3, so it should be possible
to include USB 2 to GTA02 successors...

> One thought is that future phones should include two uSD cards - one
> 'internal' for OS/kernel etc. and one that is 'removable' for data
> storage/exchange - although this is out of scope for GTA02-core.

Great!
If I compare the size of my Palm TX with my FR, even a SD would be possible.
But uSD is probably more up to date and allows more compact cases.

Regards,
	Martin