Tangogps or navit with prepackaged Europe map

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Fri May 29 10:38:52 CEST 2009

2009/5/28 Joseph Reeves <iknowjoseph at gmail.com>:
> That's made me think - we (as in the community) could provide packages
> via opkg.org that provided regular updates for various countries /
> regions / zoom levels. Would be very easy to do, just make sure that
> someone has up to date tiles (OSMupdater, for example) and package
> them up to be extracted to /media/card/maps
>
> It's extra work for one person, and extra load on opkg.org, but for us
> lazy people out there, it'd be great. I might even try it out with a
> South England example myself.

not necessarily a significant extra load on opkg. you could create an
opkg package with no map data in it, only control data for opkg to
know what version is installed, and a postinst script (or whatever the
equivalent is in opkg), which downloads the data from cloudmade,
direct from the osm api, or wherever. i think this is similar to how
linux distros package flash, etc. although for different reasons