[WikiReader] file system questions (was: [wikireader]Suggestions for next steps on software)

Christopher Hall hsw at openmoko.com
Mon Nov 2 05:02:30 CET 2009

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:46:57 -0700
Doug Jones <dj6mf at frombob.to> wrote:

> [snip]
> > I like this approach, just remind that as far I see the code and by
> > comments of the devs, the kernel implements the bare just enough to
> > read files, so I think directories are not implemented at all that's
> > why all is on root directory so at least basic hierarchical
> > filesystem has to be implemented before we can do this solution.
> > But directories will easy the organization of pictures too
>

> Good point.
>
> So two important questions to be answered, before we get any further
> into this:
>
> (1) Has OpenMoko made the policy decision that filenames will be
> limited to 8.3?

I would prefer to keep it simple, the boot loader must run in under 7kB
of internal RAM (actually it uses overlays) so adding more code
here is not so easy.

> (2) How complicated will it be to implement subdirectory support?
The version of the file system supports directory access, but there
is no support for "chdir"

we are using this:   http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_e.html
presently at version: R0.06

so all pathnames have to be absolute, I tried a couple of quick
tests and I could create and read a file in the folder, but I am missing
"mkdir" in forth, (just need to add the interface routine)

It looks like there is a new version with "chdir" support, but
I have not investigated this yet

Hope this answers your questions