[wikireader] Images on the WR not so imposible :P [was [wikireader]Error on parsing the spanish wikipedia]

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Tue Nov 3 02:06:10 CET 2009

2009/10/31 Sean Moss-Pultz <sean at openmoko.com>:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Laszlo KREKACS
> <laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM, David Reyes Samblas Martinez
>> <david at tuxbrain.com> wrote:
>>> Are you uploading this changes to git? can I take a look?
>>
>> Btw is there any plan to implement images rendering?
>
> Math (images) are on our roadmap. Hopefully before the end of this
> year. The screen is only 1bit. So anything else would look kinda
> funny.
>
>  -Sean
Well due I have clear than Internationalization and running other apps
are totally posible and in fact it can be done without much hacking, I
have spend some time investigating the posibility of  include image
other than maths on the device and I think is at least more closer
than it can seems.
I have find a process[1] I think it can be industrialized to transform
any image of the wikipedia to one more or less good to the device is
clear than we can expect a real time 3D zoomable render on the WR but
I think results are quite promising

Just some questions, is hard to do a image viewer able to scroll
vertically as we do in text?
Any good tutorial of scripting using gimp?

An now some numbers the average image are 10kb so with the hypotesis
than there are one image per article (yes I know there articles with
more than a image but there a lot of articles without images) there
will be about 3.000.000 images so 30Gb of images.... :P there are any
32Gb uSD cards out there?
I have to do a more in depth analisis on how many images(meaningful)
are there using the data on the dumps of wikipedia  so we will see.

[1]http://www.tuxbrain.com/en/content/images-wikireader-posible