[wikireader] Images on the WR not so imposible :P [was [wikireader]Error on parsing the spanish wikipedia]

sucotronic sucotronic at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 10:24:37 CET 2009

David Samblas Martinez wrote:

> 2009/10/31 Sean Moss-Pultz <sean at openmoko.com>:
>> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Laszlo KREKACS
>> <laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Btw is there any plan to implement images rendering?
>>
>> Math (images) are on our roadmap. Hopefully before the end of this
>> year. The screen is only 1bit. So anything else would look kinda
>> funny.
>>
>>  -Sean
> Well due I have clear than Internationalization and running other apps
> are totally posible and in fact it can be done without much hacking, I
> have spend some time investigating the posibility of  include image
> other than maths on the device and I think is at least more closer
> than it can seems.
> I have find a process[1] I think it can be industrialized to transform
> any image of the wikipedia to one more or less good to the device is
> clear than we can expect a real time 3D zoomable render on the WR but
> I think results are quite promising
>
> Just some questions, is hard to do a image viewer able to scroll
> vertically as we do in text?
> Any good tutorial of scripting using gimp?
>
> An now some numbers the average image are 10kb so with the hypotesis
> than there are one image per article (yes I know there articles with
> more than a image but there a lot of articles without images) there
> will be about 3.000.000 images so 30Gb of images.... :P there are any
> 32Gb uSD cards out there?
> I have to do a more in depth analisis on how many images(meaningful)
> are there using the data on the dumps of wikipedia  so we will see.
>
> [1]http://www.tuxbrain.com/en/content/images-wikireader-posible

This is an awasome idea David, but you have first to consider two things:

1- Not all English wikipedia images are under a cc license or similar.
There're a lot of copyrighted images: logos, photograpsh, captured images
from videogames...
You've one warning in this wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_database#Images_and_uploaded_files

2- It's possible to automatically download all the wikipedia images using a
program called wikix (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikix) but someone
tried it back in 2007 and  the result had a size of ¡¡407 gb!!
(http://yousefourabi.com/blog/2007/10/download-all-wikipedia-images-with-wikix/).
Then, the task of downloading all the images and convert them should be done
with a very good machine or cluster.

PS: I know that for spanish wikipedia copyrighted images are not allowed and
we don't have the point 2 problem :P