[wikireader] Images on the WR not so imposible :P [was [wikireader]Error on parsing the spanish wikipedia]

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue Nov 3 13:10:02 CET 2009

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 12:15:11PM +0100, David Reyes Samblas Martinez
> wrote:

>> Also some way to not infringe the authoring and licencing text
>> includings clauses must be used by the images viewer. but I guess it
>> can be done by links to text as other wikipage more.
>
> The problem isn't so much about WikiMedia or OpenMoko, but that the
> original authors did not free the images.
>
> As such, whilst maybe they can be on Wikipedia, which is on a non-profit
> environment, distributing on the WikiReader (which is for-profit) may
> be legally problematic.

I'm not sure if this is a desired workflow. But I don't think whis will be
a problem if everybody builds his own wikireder offline database.

Meaning, Wikireader ships and maintains a database with all safe content.
And if you like more you do it yourself.

PS: I think it would be a good idea to only use pics with low dnamic in
the first place. There is no use to have a van Gough on a 1bit low res
screen.
But having maps, flags, schematics and other low dynamic stuff makes total
sense.
I especially think about the huge amount of svg content.
I imagine, that this can be fairly easily detected. (Maybe just simply by
compression factor)

PPS: Apropos SVG. I guess we can keep them as some kind of vector format
to save space.

PPPS: We need a mailinglist

 Tilman