[wikireader] Images on the WR not so imposible :P [was [wikireader]Error on parsing the spanish wikipedia]

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue Nov 3 15:24:53 CET 2009

David Reyes Samblas Martinez wrote:

>> But having maps, flags, schematics and other low dynamic stuff makes
>> total
>> sense.
> I see the flags more problematic than van Gough ... a lot of them
> relies on colors to diferentiate each other so italian,french,irish,
> and all the miriad trhee vertical colors flags will be very hard
> differentiable

You see that effect on cheap newspaper prints. They have fairly large 1bit
pixels. It works good enough.
It's ugly for pictures. But very well for diagrams or anything like that.

You won't have absolute colours but that still works well.

>> PPS: Apropos SVG. I guess we can keep them as some kind of vector format
>> to save space.
> With the sizes we are talking abuout (3-4Kb once compressed), rarely a
> svg will be smaller than this, and I think reder a vector image is
> more resouce hungry than just a plain bitmap, but if the device can
> hold it it can be awesome as map viewer :)

True. 1 bit images are probably smaller then vector graphics. What would
be a miss could maybe 'scrolling' (Paging)