Ideal screen rotation

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sun Nov 8 01:53:56 CET 2009

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 19:46:28 +0000 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org> said:

> > > I'm definitely not following you... I envision the following scenario
> > > according to what you say, could you please elaborate on why it wouldn't
> > > happen this way?
> > >
> > >  1. App wants to be landscape, sets property on window
> > >  2. "rotator" determines the phone is in portrait, rotates.
> > >
> > > Now what happens?
> > >
> > >  3. App is landscape, but screen is portrait: fail
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > >  3. Window manager overrides rotation
> > >  3.1 but "rotator" determines portrait, rotates again
> > >  3.2 go to 3: fail
> >
> > rotate and wm should work closely together or be the same. the wm reads ande
> > knows all the properties of all windows. the rotator can do this
> > independantly
> > - but its a fair bit of work. the wm makes decisions which rotation to use
> > based on app properties and rotation preference (preference maybe being set
> > by the user explicitly or automatically by accelerometers - how, doesn't
> > much matter).
>
> It can do *your*way* with more work than the WM, but then, if the WM
> *doesn't* do rotation according to accelerometers, this is a moot point :)

then do it with dbus if you insist. it's the wrong way. it's like putting
drivers in your wm, or putting your email client as a module in the kernel.
it's wrong.

> > rotator doesnt go off and do whatever it likes irrespective of app hints. it
> > needs to take them into account - put hints on window as properties.
>
> Of course, but there has to be a standard way to take their needs in
> account :)
>
> Being X properties or DBUS, it's the same for me. DBUS seems more natural as
> there's probably less pooling, but then I know only a bit more of DBUS than
> of X11 (which AFAIR was a bunch of huge books) :)

no. dbus is far from natural or correct. that's what i keep saying. this is not
something for dbus. it's something for properties on a window.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com