Ideal screen rotation

Warren Baird wjbaird at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 10 18:17:54 CET 2009

I meant that it should *constrain* the behaviour of rotation - more or less
like omnewrotate behaves now, but skipping over the two 'incorrect'
orientations.

so if the app says 'landscape', it's still flip between xrandr -o 1 and
xrandr -o 3 as you rotate the phone, but won't flip to xrandr -o 0 or xrandr
-o 2.

I don't think it will normally makes sense for an application to
specficially request 'xrandr -o 3' - they will usually just want to be sure
that they are displayed in portrait or landscape mode.

I've been using epdfview a lot lately, and I'd love to be able to constrain
it to only show up in landscape mode...

Warren

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Dave Ball <openmoko at underhand.org> wrote:

> Warren Baird wrote:
> > perhaps the landscape / portrait flag should just contrain the
> > rotation?   So if you flip the phone 180 degrees, you get the
> > 'expected' behaviour, but if you just flip it 90 degrees nothing changes?
>
> Given that these properties are for the orientation an application
> requests (to the WM) should ideally be used, I'm not sure how the actual
> rotation would help?  Working from rotation would also complicate the
> behaviour on devices that are normally landscape - such as the Nokia N900.
>
> What I'm suggesting is that the application just says "landscape" or
> "portrait", and then the WM would decide the most appropriate way to
> orient the screen for that device.
>
> If an application doesn't request either landscape or portrait, then the
> WM would rotate the screen according to the device orientation, through
> each of the positions the device could be held (including inverted).  So
> the WM definitely needs to know the actual orientation of the device
> (such as from the FSO api), but I think the application itself only
> needs to request Landscape, Portrait or neither.
>

> Dave

Warren Baird - Photographer and Digital Artist
http://www.synergisticimages.ca