future phones that you can hack. news.

Michael michael at photorequest.co.uk
Mon Nov 23 21:58:02 CET 2009

Quoting Carsten Haitzler <raster at rasterman.com>:

> Just an FYI here.
>
> I can officially leak this. We (over in Enlightenment land) are
> working with a
> major electronics manufacturer (one that happens to pump out 100's
> of millions
> of phones every year of pretty top-notch hardware quality - and who also
> happens to like making phones high-spec with nice screens, good SoC's and 3G.
> If what we do is a phone, or a TV, or a game system, or a DVD player... who
> knows!). What does this mean? Well - no guarantees, but they are now
> sponsoring
> us. That says something. If we are working on something you can
> guess the rest
> I'd say.
>
> Who it is - will wait for future announcements. What, when and where
> will also
> need to wait. How open it is, will also need to wait. But you can
> guess that if
> we are fiddling with it - it's already partly open.
>
> So... just dropping a "keep your eyes peeled".
>
> P.S. No glamos were hurt during this work. Actually they were not even
> involved. :)
The main questions will be will it need a binary only video driver for
acceleration and are other binary only drivers needed for the other
hardware. If this is the case, then it does not matter how smooth the
graphics are, because you will eventually end up being stuck with an
old and crufty kernel.

Michael.