Navit - unusable?

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 14:22:57 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 02:14:35PM +0100, Marc Bantle wrote:
> Hi Jens,
>
> Jens Seidel schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I always wondered how people use navit. I started it already a few times but
> > find it (in contrast to tangogps) completely unusable.
> >
> > Once I start it I just get an empty background. Shouldn't it display a map?
> > I read http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Navit and tried the described "Easy
> > Way" but do not find the dialog to download maps. I haven't tried the
> > command line solution yet as I believe a graphical application should not
> > depend on it.
> >
> > How to add a destination? I select as Country Germany, and my City followed
> > by Street and Number. And now? Any click on Map, Bookmark and Destination
> > does nothing. I assume I have to be online for this step, this is fulfilled.
> >
> > I use version 1:0.1.0+svnr2735-r0.4 from the default feed.
> It took we quite some time to make navit work for me
> as well. Meanwhile I use it as gps-aware map and for
> bike navigation.
>
> There's several aspects that need to be setup:
>
> - Supplying the map data as already pointed out by others.
> I use europe.navit.bin.
> - Setup you locale as described in [1]
> - Tweak the layouts, to show the details you like to see.
> I had to enable living streets for cars and paths for
> bike for navit to find the routes as expected.
> - Onscreen Display (I still need to tweak that)
> - Audio guidance (I haven't set that up so far)
> - Valid network connection to your freerunner to
> use it as gps device for your desktop, if desired.
>
> It helped me a lot to split up configuration files
> into one file per vehicleprofile and layout and include
> those into the main navit.xml. That way you easily
> compare different vehicleprofiles and layouts.
>
> The binary data supplied by cloudmade contains most of the
> OSM information, you just need to make navit display it in
> a reasonable manner concerning design and cpu usage.
> There are some problems with finding cities as Martin
> pointed out. Most bigger places seem to work though.
>
> You can have a look at my configuration at [2]. Note that
> it's far from perfect but might help as a starting point.
>
> Cheers,

I pushed some changes to SHR repo few hours ago.

We have better default config now and its splitted to 4 easier managable
config files in /usr/share/navit.

More tweaks will follow.

But check new configs with next navit update (not sure when buildhost
will build feed, because there is rebuild from scratch going..)

Cheers,

uin:136542059                jid:Martin.Jansa at gmail.com
Jansa Martin                 sip:jamasip at voip.wengo.fr
JaMa