Internal pressure sensor

Baruch Even baruch at ev-en.org
Thu Oct 1 09:03:19 CEST 2009

Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Mikhail Umorin <mikeumo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 30 September 2009 16:18:51 Christoph Mair wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I successfully added a pressure sensor to my Freerunner. The BMP085 chip
>>> from Bosch Sensortec is a small (5x5x1.5mm) chip which includes a pressure
>>> and a temperature sensor. Power and I2C is enough to get it working. I
>>> glued it next to the BT antenna. The wiki page contains some pictures:
>>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/I2C_Pressure_Sensor
>>> Sourcecode is available from http://gitorious.org/freerunner-navigation-
>>> board/bmp085
>>>
>>> Christoph
>> Cool!
>>
>> can be very helpful during mountain hiking (not that GPS does not help already
>> -- but it may not be always available)
>>

> I'm wondering how much battery it draws probably not much but for
> backing trips it might not be all that useful.
> Bring extra charged batteries? What do others do for backpacking
> trips. Seems all cellphones eat batteries and aren't smart enough to
> stop searching for a signal when there is none.

In shr-settings you can set the GSM to off and conserve batteries this way.

When GSM is on the normal approach is to want a cell coverage if there
is any so near-constant searching is logical. It is possible to create a
   auto-conserving mode which turns the GSM on and let it work for some
time and if there is no serving cell around turn it off for some period
of time.

Baruch