Paroli Theme/UI proposals

Jon Kristian Nilsen jokr.nilsen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 16:40:20 CEST 2009

 >So could you please repost your proposal with much bigger texts?;)

I believe your approach to this is wrong, my mockups contains elements that
for sure needs to be taken care of in the code,
this includes, if im not mistaken, text styles, sizes, shapes of boxes
etc...
Have you layed out a plan for this, I am interested to see what you come up
with.

Btw, out of curiosity, are you with the dev team?

>3. No idea what is the 23 number of the upper left corner of clock.
>Should be 42, no?;)

Just "second" indicator. It could be 42 if it was 19 seconds later:)

>4. Although Im not a designer at any means, but I think the pixelized
>icons does not really
>much with the smoothed texts.

I disagree here. However, I see now that I should've turned off smoothing,
just for the sake of visualization.

>5. The displayed numbers of incoming and outgoing calls are almost
>unreadable. Should be way bigger.

See my first comment. Text size should be considered at a later stage, also,
this is easy to change in code.

>6. In the current paroli gui, there are quite a big role of sliding
>left and right. Its a nice screen size saver.
>I think its totally lacks your design.

:)

>7. If you are seriously thinking to implement this gui in paroli, I
>really suggest you, to try to draw some of the screen
>in inkscape. It helps the implementation a lot.

I used photoshop for the mockups. If paroli devs are interested in working
on this, i will provide vectorized variants of what is needed,
but as my first comment states, there are alot of things here that should be
taken care of by the code.

>8. There are many eyecandy in your image, which takes *time* to
>implement it, and also slows down the gui a little. Im thinking about
>all the gradient at the edge of each button, or the sms text view.

As stated in my post, I am not sure about the limitation of the toolkit, I
am unsure if gradients and shapes might be taken care of by it.

>Other than that, I really like your proposal, there are some aspects
>on which Im already working.
>For example the background image:
http://jonkristian.no/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/main_custom_background.jpg

Can you elaborate? The background image is just used to show how it looks
with custom bg.

>I also like some of your icons a lot, especially for the toolbars.

:)

>Im working (right now) of putting the paroli's topbar at the bottom to
>be a bottombar;)
>It is because the top is reserved for illume topbar, and two topbars
>does not make sense. Especially, when its hard to touch the edge of
>the screen. Would you mind to put the topbar at the bottom in your
>proposal?

Yeah, in my posts I had an entry about that, I would mine, as it breaks the
normal flow.

>Are you also interested in implementing your gui? I would be more than
>happy to mentoring you.

Sure, but I am not a programmer, I would love to work closely with someone
who wants to do this.
I want feedback from devs and maybe set up a meeting. This needs to be
planned out.

Someone on this list has already mentioned that they don't belive this could
be re-programmed into paroli.

I would love to get some feedback from the paroli developers if this would
be possible or not?
It's also possible to discuss this more up-close on my site's comments, or
you can find me on #paroli, #openmoko-cdevel, #openmoko

Jon Kristian
--
http://jonkristian.no
http://divineintervention.no