Bug in Handheld-Linux webshop solved

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Oct 6 21:01:28 CEST 2009

Hi all,
if you have tried to use our Openmoko webshop in the last days with
FireFox / IceWeasel / SeaMonkey, you may have experienced that the
shopping cart was automatically deleted when trying to checkout. This
effect did not happen with using e.g. Safari.

We have now found why, and that may be interesting for PHP script
writers...

The reason was that a recent upgrade of libphp5.so and /usr/bin/php
made the function date("d M Y") no longer display the current year but
"0000". For scripts using this PHP function this would just look
strange, but the main issue was that the expiration date of cookies
sent to your browser is obviously derived from the same library
function. So our shopping cart cookie was tagged with an expiration
date "06-Oct-0000". Now it looks as if Safari simply ignores the
expiration date (but stores the cookie) while FireFox discards the
whole cookie - and the shopping cart contents were lost. Therefore, we
hat different browser behaviour.

Now we have fixed this and everything is well again.

And thanks to one of our community members from Italy for pointing out
to use IceWeasel (while we usually do tests with a Mac and Safari).

Nikolaus

Mobile Office Solutions
by Golden Delicious Computers GmbH&Co. KG
Buchenstr. 3
D-82041 Oberhaching
+49-89-54290367
http://www.handheld-linux.com

AG München, HRA 89571
VAT DE253626266
Komplementär:
Golden Delicious Computers Verwaltungs GmbH
Oberhaching, AG München, HRB 16602
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Nikolaus Schaller

Digital Tools for Independent People