[SHR-U] Keyboard layouts for extremely fat fingers

Michael Smith michael.smith at netapps.com.au
Sat Oct 10 22:21:11 CEST 2009

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 17:58:15 +0200
pike <pike-openmoko at kw.nl> wrote:

> Hi

> > Very nice. I want it. I guess I'll try
> > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Illume_keyboard#How_to_install_a_new_layout
>
> That didn't work all that nice :-( Tried to
> install them next to raster's keyboards, but
> they appeared all empty. Then I replaced
> rasters keyboard with these, but Enlightenment
> segfaulted, had to restart, lost my ssh into
> the brick and Enlightment wouldnt get back up
> .. ouch .. anyway
>
> The trick is, the files shouldnt
> start with comments. I removed the first
> 4 lines (so it starts with ##KBDCONF-1.0)
> and they work like a charm.
>
> Can't really run them side by side with
> Raster's, because the keyboard's canvas
> sizes are different; apparently, enlightenment
> chooses the canvas size of the first keyboard
> it finds and sticks to that. I have them
> all working now, but raster's keyboards
> are swimming in a pool of empty greyness.
>
> Great though - I'll stick to those.

Oops sorry about that. I added the comments at the after I tested the last version. Bad luck finding a bug like that.

I noticed that the keyboard window retains the geometry given to it by my larger keyboard layout. This was the reason why I started to update the numeric layout to the same size as the alphanumeric one.

I have updated my repository

http://glitch.tl/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi/home/host/glitch.tl/repos/openmoko-keyboards/rev/1d5e2a734703

...and tested that actual version on my phone. Thanks for giving it a go. I occasionally need the terminal layout so I may attempt a new version of that one as well.
--
Michael Smith
Network Applications