WikiReader

Mike Montour mail at mmontour.net
Wed Oct 14 19:16:07 CEST 2009

Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:
> Sales start today at http://thewikireader.com. Enjoy. Tell your
> friends. And let us know what you think!

My first impression of the device - it's a Palm IIIx with 1000 times
more storage, but poorer connectivity and fewer applications.

I have an electronic subscription to a couple of science-fiction
magazines which I currently read on my old Palm IIIx. It's showing its
age so I have been looking for a replacement for a while now. The
Wikireader (with its sunlight-readable screen and AAA batteries) would
fit this category as soon as an e-book reader application is available.
Some other PDA applications like a calculator and a memo pad would be
nice but I can live without them.

If/when an e-book application is developed, it would be nice to have an
SD-card image of the Project Gutenberg archive.

I also have a question - what happens to equations and graphs in
Wikipedia articles (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessel_functions)?
Are equations rendered graphically or are they only shown in markup
language? Are SVG images supported?