voice calls with 3G USB dongle

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 15 12:09:00 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 14 October 2009, Nicola Mfb wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Timo Juhani Lindfors
>
> <timo.lindfors at iki.fi> wrote:
> > William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> writes:
> >> So the FR is now obsolete - but is it possible to use the FR with an
> >> external 3G dongle? - I know it works for data from previous posts here,
> >> but can you make voice/sms calls from an external 3G dongle?
> >
> > Yes, chan_sebi module of asterisk can do voice calls with my huawei
> > E169 3G USB dongle.
>
> Nice! how is the audio routed to the host? is it possibile to make the
> same on the freerunner?

It looks like audio is going over one of several usb serial interfaces. For
the Freerunner's GSM interface we would use chan_alsa, but it might need
modification to treat left and right as separate interfaces if you want to use
the handset mic and earpiece. There would also be some script glue between FSO
and asterisk for call handling.