Wikireader & community

Sean Moss-Pultz sean at openmoko.com
Fri Oct 16 03:54:39 CEST 2009

Hi Risto

I'll take a stab at these questions... thanks for voicing your concerns:

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Risto H. Kurppa <risto at kurppa.fi> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Now, after Wikireader's been released, I'd like to hear Openmoko to
> share their thoughts about the community aspects of Wikireader.
>
> Are you planning to encourage the creation of a devel/user community
> around Wikireader?

Yes we already have. See
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2009-October/056548.html
from Chris Hall.

> If yes, then
> What are the tech specs? We don't even know the dimensions of the device.

The details of the processor and more are in the code. We're working
to put more documentation on the site soon. Please keep in mind we're
a much smaller team now. And our primary focus was to bring to a
product to market that would work out of the box. WikiReader is very
hackable. But it also had very different design considerations than
the FreeRunner (ie WikiReader has no OS).

> Who's the person at OM responsible for communicating with the community?

All of us really. If you need help / more information, please feel
free to ask. Specific technical questions Chris is most suited for
answering.

> Where to discuss Wikireader?

Up to you guys. If you want to keep using this list - I'm fine with
that. If you want to create another list, please let us know. Gismo
can get this setup ASAP.

> What's the process to gain access to main repository?

Just go to github.com/wikireader

> Where to report bugs?

github.com/wikireader

> Where to submit patches?

github.com/wikireader

> Where will the documentation be available/written to?

github.com/wikireader

> What kind of contribution would you like to see from the community?

Like I've said in past email to this list, I don't think it's possible
to talk about a community meeting the expectations of an individual or
company. I only wanted to inspire people, not demand results from them
(unless they're on my payroll ;-).

So I hope the community contributes their point of view to this
product. Take it in the direction you all like. Whether it's adding
another language, or another content source altogether, I would be
excited about seeing anything.

What are your expectations of us (the company)?

> What will you do to enable the community to do what you want it to do?

Keep producing products that use free software. And bring them to
regular people to help (in small ways) enrich their daily lives.

> 'It'll all come later' just won't work this time.. 'We really don't
> have plans yet' works better :)
> If you seriously plan to benefit from the community, I think you
> should keep the buzz up and start working WITH the community.
>
> http://www.artofcommunityonline.org/
> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/01/building-community-around-your-foss.html
>
> If no, then I wish you all the best.

I'll take your criticism as constructive. Thanks for letting me know
your thoughts.

  -Sean