[SHR] getting an USB dongle to work

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen ccc94453 at vip.cybercity.dk
Sun Oct 18 13:04:03 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 05:39:23PM +0200, rhn wrote:
> Today, I became an owner of a new shiny USB network device. Due to poor WiFi reception indoors, this is a wired Ethernet adapter.
>
> On to the point - the device uses the dm9601 driver, which happens to be packaged in the SHR feeds. However, the driver is not loaded automatically, and doesn't work after manual modprobe && depmod.
> Some research on the desktop showed that dm9601 depends on usb_net and mii. However, these two are not present in SHR feeds.

   That would be a packaging bug, because drivers/net/usb/Kconfig lists
the correct dependencies:

config USB_USBNET
        tristate "Multi-purpose USB Networking Framework"
        select MII
[...]
config USB_NET_DM9601
        tristate "Davicom DM9601 based USB 1.1 10/100 ethernet devices"
        depends on USB_USBNET
        select CRC32
[...]

   So try bugging the person doing the SHR kernel package.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen