[brainstorm]Online contact sync

Michael Pilgermann kichkasch at gmx.de
Sun Oct 18 20:54:14 CEST 2009

ajvogel wrote:

> Neil Jerram wrote:
>> 2009/10/18 Atilla Filiz <atilla.filiz at gmail.com>
>>
>>> I don't know others but I occasionally switch distros and have multiple
>>> computers. I thought different people might be in the same condition. I
>>> actually don't how many people use Google contacts, but it's there.
>>
>> OK, so this is primarily something for your own use only.  You also
>> mentioned giving contacts to other people - hence my uncertainty - but I
>> guess you would do that from a copy of the contacts on one of your
>> computers, and not from the online repository.
>>
>> So the next question is what form does the online repository need to take?
>> In the simplest case it could be just a plain file (e.g. vcf format) that
>> you upload to the web space that your ISP provides for you...
>>

> Maybe the dev`s for pisi could extend it to include syncing to an vcf file
> over ftp/ssh? Maybe it already does?

Indeed it does - the default configuration file
(https://projects.openmoko.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/*checkout*/trunk/conf?rev=152&root=pisi)
shows two examples:

##########
## 2.5)
## Remote VCF file (on a Webdav-Server)
##
[remoteVCF]
description= Remote VCF on Webdav
module=contacts_remotevcf
url=http://webdav.davserver.net/private/pim/
file=contacts.vcf
username=<LOGIN>
password=<PASSWORD>

the following example is ICS - but you can apply exactly the same to vcf ...

##########
## 1.5)
## Remote ICS file (on a SSH-Server (scp))
##
## - make sure, you don't need a password for this account (e.g. key
file without password)
## - I noticed, you should create your key file on Openmoko - otherwise
will bring an error:
##      dropbearkey -t rsa -f ~/.ssh/id_rsa
## This example is an ICalendar on your desktop machine, which you have
configured in
## Sunbird / Lightning as 'file:///home/username/test.ics' (on the desktop)
##
[sshIcs]
description=ICalendar on SSH Server
module=calendar_ics
path=/tmp/pisi-tmpcal.ics
preprocess=scp -i /home/root/.ssh/id_rsa
username at 192.168.0.200:/home/username/test.ics /tmp/pisi-tmpcal.ics
postprocess=scp /tmp/pisi-tmpcal.ics
username at 192.168.0.200:/home/username/test.ics && rm /tmp/pisi-tmpcal.ics

ask me if you need more input ...

best regards
Michael