Desktop based on openbox and idesk

Ali alishams at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Oct 19 04:56:21 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-18 at 13:52 +0200, Matthias Huber wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> today i released a minimalistic, simplified Desktop Handler based on
> openbox and idesk on the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Minimoko
>
> Try it if you want and give me feedback!

very sweet, I love the unique look. One thing that really bugged me;
ever since I got my very first cell phone I stopped wearing watches,
opting to grab my phone and look at the time there instead. Comming out
of suspend, unlocking, hitting shr-settings and date/time takes way too
long just to see the time. Screen space at the bottom is taken so two
suggestions
1. BATT and NET could be replaced with small icons and that would make
room for the time on the right- but the bottom may still look crampped
2. Maybe have the time go down vertically on the right side of the
screen. Ghetto diagram for clarity:
(icon) (icon) (icon) (icon)
(icon)                     H
(icon)                     H
(icon)                     :
BATT: x% -  NET: x%        M
oh, and wtf is with the messaging app having an icon that says news?
Seems more suited for an rss aggregator. Great otherwise, illume never
did it for me- maybe it was that iphoney look.