SHR status

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 19 09:59:01 CEST 2009

Tried the NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS hack? - made a real difference to me on
this problem.  To manually try it, mount debugfs and do the echo
command, or create as below and reboot.

In /etc/fstab add this line (all one line :)

debugfs			/sys/kernel/debug	debugfs		defaults                 0  0

and create "/etc/init.d/NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS"

containing

#!/bin/sh -x

echo NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS > /sys/kernel/debug/sched_features

and use update-rc.d to add it to the default boot levels.

debugfs exposes some knobs and innards of the kernel, the one here
making the kernels default scheduler behave more like the BFS scheduler
that hit the news a couple of months ago, creating a far more responsive
device including when it rings.

BillK