[SHR] getting an USB dongle to work

rhn omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org
Tue Oct 20 16:19:15 CEST 2009

EdorFaus wrote:
> On Monday 12 October 2009 17:39:23 rhn wrote:
>> Today, I became an owner of a new shiny USB network device. Due to poor
>> WiFi reception indoors, this is a wired Ethernet adapter.
>>
>> On to the point - the device uses the dm9601 driver, which happens to be
>> packaged in the SHR feeds. However, the driver is not loaded automatically,
>> and doesn't work after manual modprobe && depmod. Some research on the
>> desktop showed that dm9601 depends on usb_net and mii. However, these two
>> are not present in SHR feeds.
>
> I've got one of those too, except that mine uses the pegasus driver, which
> appears to be included by default. For me, it is loaded automatically.
>
> A bit of looking tells me that pegasus too depends on the mii driver, and
> since that doesn't show up in the module list on the FR, yet the device works,
> I assume that the mii driver is compiled into the kernel instead of being a
> separate module. (Compiled-in drivers don't show up in lsmod.)

Thanks for the info, I didn't know how compiled-in modules behave.
>> What else should I do to make it work? I'd prefer to avoid recompiling the
>> kernel, but if nothing else works...
>
> Did you remember to switch the FR into USB Host mode? By default it's in USB
> Device mode, at least on mine (SHR-U). This is done under Settings-
> Connectivity, and has to be switched when you want to use the FR as the host
> (PC) side of the USB connection, instead of connecting the FR to a PC.

Sure, I wouldn't forget that.
I also accidentally checked the FR's resistance to stupidity by connecting it to a wall charger in host mode. I expected it would switch back to device mode after reboot. Luckily, it still works.
> Did you try using lsusb? It should show that a device is connected even if the
> FR doesn't have the driver for it, so if it doesn't show anything new (only
> the line for the FR itself) then the problem is probably not with the driver.
It shows both the line for USB hub and the device. I'd be in trouble if it didn't.

Cheers
rhn