[Wikireader] Any news on Wikireader ?

Christopher Hall hsw at openmoko.com
Fri Oct 23 08:46:35 CEST 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:55:31 -0700
Doug Jones <dj6mf at frombob.to> wrote:

> Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> <snip>
> >> I don't think RMS would have any complaints about carrying one of
> >> these around.
> >
> > Can you spend a bit of time to check the licenses? Chris Hall
> > reviewed it so I'm sure it's all good, but since it is all
> > statically linked together and GPL-licensed it means like you said
> > every last bit of software needs to be at least GPL compatible. An
> > independent review on this would be great.
>

> Sure, that looks doable.  Thank goodness the codebase is so small.
>

> > In addition to the microSD card, there is only a small bootloader
> > in an EEPROM (to boot from the SD card), but I think it's free
> > software and in the source tree as well.
> > Reflashing that EEPROM is a bit tricky (though possible, needs
> > documentation), but not sure who would need it.
> >
> >> If you hold the third button down while turning on, it starts up
> >> the serial console (19200 8N1).
> >
> > Is it documented somewhere how to hook up a serial cable?

I added some infomation to http://wiki.github.com/wikireader/wikireader
to describe the Flash process and the debug connections,

Let me know if it is understandable

> Good question!  I looked under that sticker, and saw eight little
> golden contact pads.  Do we have to open the case and solder
> something onto there?
There are spring loaded ATE test probes that would be used instead
of soldering.

--
Best regards.
Christopher Hall                      hswATopenmoko.com