Multiple Distro's..

Marc Bantle marc.b at ntle.de
Sat Oct 24 17:08:59 CEST 2009

Hi,

Aditya Gandhi schrieb:
> Hi guys, I'm expecting my Free Runner in a day or two....
> I wish to know as to how many distributions can I Run side by side ,

I think the maximum is seven without extra efforts.
A possible setup could look like this:

Device
Number   Media   /dev       Partition Type     Content
31,  6   NAND    mtdblock6                      Dist1
179, 0   SD-Card mmcblk0    (raw device)
179, 1   SD-Card mmcblk0p1  primary partition   Dist2
179, 2   SD-Card mmcblk0p2  primary partition   Dist3
179, 3   SD-Card mmcblk0p3  primary partition   Dist4
179, 4   SD-Card mmcblk0p4  extended partition  logical partitions
179, 5   SD-Card mmcblk0p5  logical partition   Dist5
179, 6   SD-Card mmcblk0p6  logical partition   Dist6
179, 7   SD-Card mmcblk0p7  logical partition   Dist7

Off course you can choose a different
primary/logical ratio.

> Is there a guide to multiple OS on freerunner?
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Booting_from_SD

I just had a look. A lot of the information
is just wrong or at least outdated. I now
understand why most users install qi ;-)

Various efforts have been made to supply a
bootmenu for qi (e.g. by using kexec).
I don't know whether they where successful.

I still stay with u-boot for my multi dist
setup, cause it has a boot menu. It's only
constraint is that the kernel need's to be
within the first 2G of the SD-Card (I just
prepared a special subdirectory on the first
partition). Booting  kernels >2M need special
boot parameters, but has been reported to
work on this list.

> Eg:- an external small GSM antenna to enhance reception.... etc.
I use one to have a signal on my Desk (antenna
outside the window).

Cheers,
Marc