ffalarms 0.3 -- recurring alarms

Marcel tanuva at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 26 22:35:25 CET 2009

Am Montag, den 26.10.2009, 22:15 +0100 schrieb Łukasz Pankowski:
> Marcel <tanuva at googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > Am Montag, den 26.10.2009, 02:07 +0100 schrieb Łukasz Pankowski:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I have just released ffalarms 0.3, it adds recurring alarms, please test
> >> it before depending on it.
> >>
> >> For me the most missing feature now is being able to edit the alarms and
> >> postponing in the acknowledge window.  Ideas and comments are welcome.
> >>

> >> Notes:
> >> - add support for recurring alarms, attaching messages to alarms, and
> >>   choosing alarm date from a calendar
> >>
> >> - add configuration option for alarm volume, alarm_script and alsa_state
> >>
> >> Download:
> >> http://projects.openmoko.org/frs/?group_id=260&release_id=580
> >> (I also provide libical, in case it is not in your distro)
> >
> > Yay! I use ffalarms mostly more than once a day and it's just great to
> > have it. Thanks for your work! :)
> >
> > Although I know you're not too fond of it - what about making it
> > possible to simply turn an alarm off without that puzzle? It's quite
> > annoying me from time to time, especially when I'm just finishing it
> > when its regenerating and I need to hear that alarm once again...
>
> Yes I am quite attached to the puzzle it is there since the beginning
> :).  BUT: it is there for the particular purpose to avoid accidental
> turning off of the alarm.  And now Elementary [1] comes with the widget
> that plays that rule well enough -- slider -- without the annoyance of
> the puzzle (yes, I say it too).
>
> v0.3 adds the acknowledge window that displays after the puzzle, and
> consider merging the two into one acknowledge window with two sliders:
>
> * first one to turn off the alarm sound (when it is loud you want to
> turn of this first and not read the message), then
>
> * the second to acknowledge you read the alarm message (this will appear
> if you slide the first one).
>
> What do you think of such interface?

The slider is a good idea, already works fine in shr-today. (Which
didn't survive my scaling experiments very well...)
I'm not sure if two windows for turning off the alarm and then
acknowledging the alarm messages are nessecary. Couldn't we have one
slider in the upper third of a window to turn off the alarm (maybe even
red?! I fear that might be hardwired to the theme...), the alarm message
in the middle and the acknowledgement switch for that on the bottom. So
one could if there's no mesage or its trivial just slide the lower
slider and both the message window and the alarm disappear/stop without
having to slide twice. What about that? :)

--
Marcel