Centralization of graphical awesomeness

Xavier Cremaschi omega.xavier at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 10:23:56 CET 2009

DJDAS a écrit :
> It never NEVER worked in an acceptable manner in EVERY my desktop system
> since 4 years (with nVidia graphics cards, not "GLAMO" or Freerunner),
> Compiz+XFCE are light-years way faster and optimized than that E's bunch
> of uncommented and "always-in.beta" (and not standards compliant) code...
> Please don't fool our brains and simply admit you are not able to work
> on embedded systems as on desktop (and personally I've got some doubts
> even on this).

I beg to differ, your personal experience is not mine (E17 being damn
fast comparing to xfce). E17 is fuck**g fast on limited hardware.

> I can't accept to read something like "my code is highly optimized BUT
> as you have a shi**y device you cannot run on it unless you deactivate
> all its features"....go work in Micro$oft and write their "optimized"
> Aero GUI pretending to work on a 10Ghz quadcore Cray processor with 1TB
> RAM and 4 graphics card....
> Be serious please...

I think you miss the point :
- qtmoko/qtopia is pretty because of good skin and good uniformity
- qt in qtmoko is very simple (for example no transparency, no fancy
controls...)
- E17 as used in shr/om200x uses more advanced things than qt in QtMoko
- E17 as used in shr/om200x is not as pretty as qt in qtmoko (well done
qtopia team !)

If you put the same things in both qt and E17 -- for example if you try
to mimic qtmoko gui with E17 and if you disable everything in E17 that
is useless in order to produce qtmoko gui-- E17 will be faster.

A fast FR means a simple GUI and QtMoko is simple and pretty... I would
say it's well balanced indeed, it fits well the FR. But E17 displaying
same simple gui controls would be faster, no doubt.

Xavier Cremaschi.