Centralization of graphical awesomeness

DJDAS djdas at djdas.net
Tue Oct 27 11:11:04 CET 2009

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> you show and immense amount of knowledge here, both of the hardware, of
> software and graphics in general. i'm amazed. i shall take your advice as you
> obviously are someone of massive experience. i see that people reporting that
> its faster and better on a gta01 @ 266 mhz (2/3 the cpu powerd), same screen
> and no glamo are obviously wrong. you indeed know much more. the smooth
> rendering on a 206mhz strong arm is obviously just incorrect and i'm a fool to
> think so. i shall be quiet and let your amazing skills make everything
> blindingly fast and smooth.

Given that I never said to be an expert but simple telling my point of
view as an end user, and given that I don't want to start a flame, I
simply say that I work as an IT manager on embedded system since 2001, I
wrote code for palmtops, mobile phones and more embedded devices like
POS terminals and custom cards (always in C/C++), so I think I can speak
with a bit of knowledge.
I'm NOT a graphic expert (never said this) so all my respect to people
who carve the bits and write graphic drivers and all the stuff rounding
graphic world.
My considerations were a bit of "business-like" words, because I think
too many times you shut people complaints saying "you bought a shit*y
hardware so don't bother me" and I don't think it's a winning approach
(I won't say to a customer "you fool, you bought a bad phone so my
fantastic program doesn't work because of you").
Technically speaking I didn't look at your code (and won't) so I don't
criticize how it's written/commented/optimized and so on, I criticize
your approach and, let me say, I would prefer you said something like "I
preferred to write some *specifically* for the Freerunner but someone
told me not to because of business choices" instead of "I tried to adapt
something working perfectly (which is not for me, indeed) on a loser
device" :)
It's simply a matter of approach.
I repeat nothing personal, just some suggestions ;)
Bye.