Centralization of graphical awesomeness

Bernd Prünster bernd.pruenster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 15:52:33 CET 2009

Al Johnson wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 October 2009, DJDAS wrote:
>
>> Xavier Cremaschi wrote:
>>
>>> - qt in qtmoko is very simple (for example no transparency, no fancy
>>> controls...)
>>>
>> I prefer to not have transparency if this would result in more than
>> 10fps in GUI responsiveness (not calculated but perceived which is what
>> end user counts on)
>>

> Then use a theme that doesn't use transparency! Bernd Prünster has done great
> work on producing themes that run much faster than the default while still
> looking good. They don't degrade with the 16 bit renderer either, and that
> runs even faster. The themes should be in the shr repos by now.
I Fixed nEo theme bubbles, but i will have to write phoneui themes
(saill waitin for mrmoku to implement themability in phoneui)
gry* was adapted to work with new elm version.

nEo and gry is in the mrmoku feeds, so just wait for the new unstable
and you'll have fast themes in shr repo (i am going to ask mrmoku to put
the current version of nEo and gry* theme into current shr-u feeds. the
nEo theme has some problems (badly designed edc code to begin with,
complicated installation because libframeworkd-phonegui-efl is not
really themable.)

by the way gry* is even closer to what raster said "use rects without
scaled images" gry* doesn't even use images to render buttons, the are
drawn on the fly and look better than anythign i ever seen using
software_16.

the default theme is simpyl nto optimized for slow devices like the
freerunner (i think i counted 5 layers including text for something as
simple as a button and not just 4 layers of somethung but 4 layers of
which 4 use translucency, of which at least 1 is animated)

if you want to know what happens if you kick all that stuff out try the
nEo theme or the gry* theme, which both still can be optimized (current
gry* version in development has even faster scrolling!)
elementary apps are faster than gtk apps, the render faster, they scroll
faster (using a proper theme), so i think i can say that raster cannot
be talking plain bullshit! (although in the past i was really pissed at
him for a couple of things he said and HOW he said it, so i am not his
biggest fan, but i can only bow if i look at how powerful the tools are
efl puts into my hands and how little ressources they use)

and for xfce+compiz compared to efl: ever wondered why the rendering
engines are called SOFTWARE? and why compiz requires opengl? go figure!