Insisting on metaphors that exploit the device's weaknesses (Re: Centralization of graphical awesomeness)

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Oct 28 10:42:16 CET 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:27:03 +0200 "Michael 'Mickey' Lauer"
<mickey at vanille-media.de> said:

> >The problem is : on the freerunner we merely need something to display some
> >simple widgets, scroll the screen smoothly (because on a small display you
> >always need to scroll)
>
> Why do all of you insist on using scrolling as the only metaphor to present
> excerpts of large content? Given the physical size of the display and the
> hardware constraints (touchscreen jitter, for a start... not going to comment
> on the Glamo) I think this is very questionable. There are other metaphors
> available that would fit the device's strengths much better. What about
> paging?

good words mickey. good words. :) (i have a todo item for the scrole rto have a
page mode. it already has a page mode actually - but its a scrolling one much
like iphone's N pages of icons  - but it's infra to simple provide some theme
elements that you press and they jump up/down/left/right a page and then do the
jump - so it's mostly there. it just hasn't been any priority for me - am
working on an oldie request to get rotatable objects.. which now works. under
flux.. but works and renders... image and text objects so far are working. in
theory all other basic object types too, but smart objects - not yet).

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com