Centralization of graphical awesomeness

Ken Young rtm at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 28 14:36:07 CET 2009

DJDAS <djdas at djdas.net> wrote:

[...]

> I am sure people trying the smoothness and responsiveness of
> Illume at 240x320 would never complain of a lower resolution!
> Furthermore I don't understand why a lower resolution (and in this I
> agree with you people are strange ;) ) would become in an unusable
> device while the iPhone at the same resolution is the best usable device
;)

OK, I was going to try to control myself, but I just can't.   I'm one of
the people who always pops out of the woodwork to scream when someone
suggests that switching to QVGA is a good idea.

1) The iPhone is not QVGA.   It's HVGA.   Try running a web browser on
an iPhone with the bottom half of the display covered with black tape.

2) The Freerunner has one, and ONLY ONE, feature which is somewhat
better than what is found on a typical smart phone.   The VGA display.
You are suggesting that feature should be downgraded so that it is
effectively worse than what is found virtually every smart phone being
currently manufactured.   Every other feature of our phones is either
no better than average (the GPS, the accelerometers), worse than
average (USB 1.1, GPRS), or fucked up by firmware problems (WiFi).
Yes, let's make sure the display is substandard too!

Personally, I wish OM had stayed with the UI they had in 2007.1.  That's
right, 2007.1 - the first version, which had no kinetic scrolling.
There was never any chance that OM would produce a phone with graphics
as smooth and fancy as what a high-volume smart phone has.   They did not
have access to the hardware components.   They did not have a legion
of engineers to work on it.    There is even less chance that gta02-core
or gta03 will have state-of-the-art graphics capabilities.   It will
be nothing short of a miracle if a community hardware effort ever
produces a usable phone, available to the full OM community, at all.
IMO the OM software should try to differentiate our device from
other smart phones, not produce a half-assed iPhone clone.   Forget
smooth graphics.   Forget kinetic scrolling.   Forget transparency.
Show a simple, clean array of icons representing the applications
which can be launched.   Allow the user to set the brightness, screen
blank time and suspend time.   Stop there.

Ken Young