[ALL] Call quality

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 29 19:40:12 CET 2009

On Thursday 29 October 2009, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> Which one is the mike gain?

48. The advice on the wiki is bad, and likely to lead to distortion. Keep 48
low unless you have 12 and 5 near maximum.

> Does anything change in the mike when going from handset to speakerset?

Possibly, especially if you've changed the mic settings in gsmhandset.state.
48, 12 and 5 are the channels you want to look at for the mic.

> The page on the wiki isn't very enlightening for non-handset cases...

Half of me thinks this is a good idea as if it's not obvious from the diagram
at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_1973_audio_subsystem#ALSA_Channels then
people are probably going to combine the settings badly anyway.

The other half says I want to check through all the state files anyway, and I
may as well document it better when I do.

If you're using an FSO-based distro you could try fso-simplemixer.py. It
presents you with a single slider for Mic, and sets the required channels in a
sensible combination. The few reports so far suggest it does a good job, but
back up your state files or using it just in case. Details in the thread
below.

http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2009-October/056063.html