Not really yet usable. but an idea for multitouch

Alex Teiche xelapond at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 07:41:12 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have been researching Multi-Touch for the past year as a Hobbyist, and I
consider myself somewhat well versed in the technology:)

While that method would definately work, its obviously going to be cumbersom
and not portable at all.  I have been experimenting with a method of
Multi-Touch that uses an array of Phototransistors, and I currently have a
8x8 Array working very well(3x3 Inch active sensing area, plenty to cover
the FreeRunner's screen).  Its only issue is speed, which is going to be
fixed soon with my Digi-Key order that is on its way.

Mine obviously isn't perfect either, when I built it I had a more
Laptop/Tablet shaped device in mind(just because the array is ~1/4 inch
thick), but I do believe it will be easily adaptable.

Here is a link to my site where I have a video and explaination on an older
test I did:
http://www.xelapond.com/dotclear/index.php?post/2009/06/04/Code%2C-Schematics%2C-Diagrams

And here is a picture of my newest version, 8x8 array:
http://www.xelapond.com/files/r1-8x8-angle.jpg

In the near future I plan on somehow interfacing this to the freerunner.  I
will probably have to separate the screen from the device, and place this
behind it(so I can interact with elements on the screen).

I'm very passionate about Multi-Touch, if you do get anything with a WiiMote
working, be sure to post a link+vid:)  I'd love to see it.

~Alex Teiche

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Lothar Behrens <lothar.behrens at lollisoft.de