[SHR] Setting regional codes

Tom Yates madhatter at teaparty.net
Tue Sep 1 08:54:57 CEST 2009

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Robin Paulson wrote:

> 2009/8/31 Tom Yates <madhatter at teaparty.net>:
>> secondly, does that not mean that a call from 01223456789 (in the UK)
>> should match a contact listed as +441223456789, when the following
>> settings apply?
>
> it works perfectly for me - i didn't put anything except a '0' in the
> area code field though

that's great news.  are you in the UK?

and if so, could you let me know a) your /etc/phone-utils.conf b) a couple
of contacts from your address book (i don't want to know the numbers, just
the first three or four digits so i can see what format you store them in)
and c) confirmation that the numbers are resolved to contact names for
incoming calls AND call log entries AND SMS messages?

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak wrote:
> International prefix is *never* +. Most probably (as in whole Europe)
> you have to set it as 00.

ok, done.  i tried both, and it didn't help.

> What is that area_code=1223? Try with area_code blanked.

that's my local area code (comparable to "179" in the wiki article i sent
you).

i have blanked it out (though i had to edit the file by hand for
that as the GUI won't take an empty value, saying it must be a number) but
i still don't have perfect resolution.

at the moment:

/etc/phone-utils.conf says
[local]
international_prefix=00
national_prefix=0
country_code=44
area_code=

my first contact is now (six zeros substituted for real number)
wife	00447971000000

and her call log entry is right, her text messages show as coming from
her, but her incoming calls still show up as just "07971000000".

thanks to both of your for your follow-ups, hopefully you can help me get
this 100% working!

--

       Tom Yates  -  http://www.teaparty.net