[SHR] Setting regional codes

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Wed Sep 2 11:52:57 CEST 2009

Sorry I missed the whole thread. Need to read it all in a free minute.
Sorry if I spam you with irrelevant stuff. But my post to dial plans and
number cannonification from last year might be interesting for you guys.

http://www.mail-archive.com/devel@lists.openmoko.org/msg00073.html

There was much discussion on that thread. But the conclusion is, if you
know your dialplan (internationalPrefix, longDistancePrefix and
countryCode) you can transform every local number into the full
international form +xxyyzzzzz

And from that, if you would like you can transform it back by applying
your dial plan. But there is of course not much need for that on cell
networks.

Regards
 Tilman

Niels Heyvaert wrote:

>>> + should be an alias to 00 if at the beggining of a number. This usage
>>> of +
>>> is so common and international that it would be IMHO dumb to
>>> intentionally
>>> ignore it.
>>
>> Not only that, but I intentionally store all my numbers in the +
>> (usually +31...) format, since not every country has 00 as its
>> international prefix!
>>
>> If you look at http://www.kropla.com/dialcode.htm, there is a whole
>> list of IDD codes, and there are lots of 'em that aren't 00...
>>
>> I'm looking forward to having full number recognition, since I now
>> regularly have to 'mentally lookup' a number when it's calling me...
>>
>> Christ van Willegen
>> --
>
> Adding my observations to the mix:
>
> I haven't changed any of the phone settings and store all my phone numbers
> in the international format (with '+' sign). In the config file the
> default country code is set to 49, which is different from my actual
> country code.
>
> Incomming calls and messages map very nice to the contact names.
>
> I haven't received any international calls or text messages since I've
> started using SHR-U, but will keep an eye on it.
>
> Niels.

MFG
 Tilman Baumann