cellhunter - openbmap - opencellid revisited... (was Re: CellHunter is moving to a new server)

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak seba.dos1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 20:13:13 CEST 2009

On 9/2/09, Leonti Bielski <prishelec at gmail.com> wrote:
> So how good or bad the data from Cellhunter project?
> For me it is a lot of fun to compete collecting cells. If it misses
> some data - let's just add more info about cells if necessary so then
> obm could import new data and everyone would be happy.
>
> Leonti
>
> Leonti
>
> On 9/2/09, Thomas Landspurg <t.landspurg at 8motions.com> wrote:
>>   Hello Risto,
>>
>>   Here is a few facts from such FAQ:
>>
>>  Most of the cells from OpenBMap are coming from OpenCellID (the
>> 'untrusted ones')
>>
>>  One of the main difference from the three is that only OpenCellID
>> provides a complete access to the data and the measures.
>>
>>  OpenCellId added a "CVS uploader" to import bulk CSV data files
>> mainly to be compatible with the OpenBMap logger. I just don't have
>> any OpenMoko phone to test it.
>>
>>   I've been out of the mailing list from some time because I am not
>> involved in the OpenMoko community (I am more involved in J2ME and
>> others platforms), but I would be happy to reactivate the integration
>> effort. Since the beginning, OpenCellID was focused on collecting the
>> data and not writing clients for all platforms. I would be happy to
>> support the OpenBMap client and do some modifications if needed.
>>   Regarding CellHunter, I would ba happy also to work on an
>> integration. We had some early discussion, but I'll try to reactivate
>> them.
>>   Regards,
>>
>> 2009/9/2 Risto H. Kurppa <risto at kurppa.fi>:
>>>
>>> I think someone could write a wiki page about this and include it in
>>> FAQ's
>>> :)
>>>
>>> CellHunter: 7milj cells, clients: http://www.opkg.org/package_111.html
>>> and http://www.opkg.org/package_175.html (and repositories?)
>>> OpenBMap: 479584 cells of which 82842 are 'trusted'*, client:
>>> http://www.opkg.org/package_186.html (and repositories)
>>> OpenCellID: 433459 cells, clients:
>>> http://www.opencellid.org/users/staticShow/download
>>>
>>> * trusted means it's collected via OpenBMap project, not imported from
>>> other projects.
>>>
>>> AFAIK, CellHunter is a competition (teams/individuals against each
>>> other) on collecting cells as OpenBmap&OpenCellID - well, you just
>>> collect the cells.
>>> AFAIK, OpenBmap is told to import data from other projects
>>> AFAIK, OpenBmap was started because of different views about important
>>> data to collect between OpenCellID and OpenBMap devels.
>>>
>>> To me the whole thing is a big mess. Do we really need three projects.
>>> Let me bet, they all are now working on tools to use their own data to
>>> find the position of a phone, right?
>>>
>>> 1) if OpenBMap imports from other projects, why it's missing the 7milj
>>> cellhunter cells?
>>> 2) AFAIK There are no tools to benefit from the collected data yet
>>> 3) Can't see a OpenCellID client for Freerunner
>>>
>>> I earlier tried CellHunter, didn't work. For me OpenBmap is just
> [...]

When I tried Cellhunter (in early stage of its development), it didn't
feel so bullet-proof and stable, and I noticed I was collecting points
for invalid data which happened sometimes. And when moving, clicking
"update" constanly was giving me always 1 point more, and offline mode
wasn't so usable, so I had to colllect cells during GPRS connection,
which wasn't so stable these days. Maybe it changed now (well, i would
be supriced if it didn't :P), but openBmap client, data and website
just feel better, and most of important FSO and SHR devs are using
openBmap to collect cells - that's good enough recomendation to me ;)

--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak
dos