[SHR-Unstable] swapon: swapfile has holes

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 5 12:27:25 CEST 2009

On Sat, 2009-09-05 at 11:45 +0200, Matthias Huber wrote:
> Timo Juhani Lindfors schrieb:
> > Matthias Huber <matthias.huber at wollishausen.de> writes:
> >
> > > *** but if you are formatting the card, you can make a real swap
> > > _partition_ also.
> > >

> > What are the advantages of a swap partition? The only one I can think
> > of is that it can be used for software suspend.
> >

> afaik, it is much faster than file.
>
> --
> MatzeHuber

I use swapfiles occasionally on my desktop when it looks like I need
more swap (large graphics - gimp) - I would disagree that a swap
partition is "much" faster - experience shows its more like much, much,
much ... faster :)

Not of much use on th FR, but swap partitions on different drives having
the same priority use a parallel striping for read/write (like raid0)
for a speedup.

BillK