cellhunter - openbmap - opencellid revisited... (was Re: CellHunter is moving to a new server)

Thomas Landspurg t.landspurg at 8motions.com
Sun Sep 6 13:57:02 CEST 2009

  Hello Risto,

 note that strengh is already part of the opencellid api.

  As I've pointed out once, the problem is not all client have access
to these data. So do we add all possible fields in the database? Out
of the 45 millions of measures, only several millions might have all
these data.
  My suggestion, implemented today in the opencellid api is the
following: add the missing informaiton in the extraInfo field, as
tag/value.
  For instance, extraInfo="speed=123,alt=12,hdop=12,vdop=6" etc.....
This is already used by some tools for instance the cellhunter
importer put the team name as "gteam=<team name>" value.
  Then, the algorithm to define the cell might use these extra info.

  The bad thing is that it would by quite difficult to do query on
this extra things. I do not thing that it's the biggest issue. The
other problem might be that we need to find a common naming for all
possible new fields and ensure validity. For instance, use alt and not
altitude, etc.... One possible option is to add hese as extra possible
parameters so it will be checked, but store them as value/pair.
  Other fields could be added also, to store for instance user agent
instead of software version for others type of platforms, or accuracy
but not defined in hdop/vdop value but in others type (see JSR179 or
Android API).

  Any opininon on this.

--
Thomas LANDSPURG