sdcrard - most common partition layout?

Cameron Frazier frazier.cameron at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 16:24:51 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-06 at 15:09 +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

> I just got myself a new SDcard for my FreeRunner (2 GB). Now I'm
> wondering what is the most common layout people use on their SD crds?
> I have ecently learned that QtMoko needs a swap partition (and that it
> is hardcoded to p4).
> What other partitions is useful on the card?
>
> I am thinking that since Qi (the boot loader) doesn't have a menu,
> putting more than one system on a card is not that useful. Am I right?
> --
> Regards,
> Torfinn Ingolfsen

I use a 4GB card setup as below:

1st :	~500MB
 - Primary OS (SHR-U, updated often)

2nd :	~500MB
 - Backup OS (SHR-U, migrated from primary)
 - Migration is when I'm content with a  working version of my Primary

3rd :	~3GB
 - Data (Music, Maps, backups, etc)
 - Music, Maps and the rest are sym-linked to the /home/root on the
Primary/Secondary OSs

I also have a failsafe (old but nicely working image on NAND) but that's
rarely used outside of me doing something dumb with the uSD card.

I do not use a swap file (for better or worse), so one is not included.

Switching to my alternate OS is easy with Qi, just needs a bit of
timing.

My OS partitions are a bit bigger then required for the SHR image, but I
have the room, and I'd rather err on the side of providing too much room
rather then not enough.

I hope that helps,

Kind regards,

Toaster