Debian first experience made a bit easier...

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 09:33:27 CEST 2009

2009/9/6 Nikita V. Youshchenko <yoush at debian.org>:
> Doing debian install with (c)debootstrap, as current install.sh does and as
> debian installer does, although being a standard way, is somewhat
> questionable on slow devices such as freerunner. This is plainly slow,
> compared to reflashing or archive unpacking. Also it is vulnerable to
> temporary archive breakages, as the current story with dpkg 1.15.4 shows.

There is truth to that, but I just personally prefer "real"
installation to .tar.gz:s. Of course, with a grain of trustworthiness
of having the .tar.gz:s hosted under Debian it would be better than
downloading from random places around the web.

> Remenber, zhone is not intended to be end-user phone app. We should package
> paroli, and/or litephone, and/or shr phone tools.

However, zhone works quite well. But yes paroli for example definitely
- and we're on a very good path now. Elementary is now (again) in NEW
queue (http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html), after that there is
only python-elementary bindings left to have everything ready for
packaging paroli (and intone).

> For example, it's nice that mokomaze is in debian, but if you install it
> And it was just an example. Another one: after aptitude install mplayer, I

Yeah, thanks for bringing me back to Earth :) I just accept almost
anything if I just get to use Debian, and I'm happy the ground work
starts to be ready, but those two examples are quite good about the
real polishing need. TangoGPS of course works quite flawlessly at the
moment, but MPlayer with Tremor support and without confusing GUI
option would be good, as well as a fixed mokomaze. I believe there are
always ways to fix the problems in an acceptable way, but it may
indeed need some work. Maybe something can be done in the
openmoko-files-config to trigger some stuff in eg. mokomaze.

-Timo