sdcrard - most common partition layout?

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 20:44:50 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 8:06 PM, David Garabana Barro <david at garabana.com>wrote:

> O Domingo, 6 de Setembro de 2009, Torfinn Ingolfsen escribiu:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just got myself a new SDcard for my FreeRunner (2 GB). Now I'm
> wondering
> > what is the most common layout people use on their SD crds?
> > I have ecently learned that QtMoko needs a swap partition (and that it is
> > hardcoded to p4).
> > What other partitions is useful on the card?
> >
> > I am thinking that since Qi (the boot loader) doesn't have a menu,
> putting
> > more than one system on a card is not that useful. Am I right?
>
> I Use the following partition scheme on my 16 GB Trascend uSD:

Thanks for sharing.

> If you're not goint to try different new distros, this scheme is not for
> you,
> but, please, use at least 128 MB as swap partition. The difference is
> really
> really noticeable. You can use the same partition for all distros.

My 2GB card  currently looks like this:

neo:~# fdisk /dev/mmcblk0

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1203.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 1967 MB, 1967128576 bytes
57 heads, 56 sectors/track, 1203 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 3192 * 512 = 1634304 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/mmcblk0p1             694        1203      813960    6  FAT16
/dev/mmcblk0p2               1         307      489944   83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p3             308         614      489972   83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p4             615         693      126084   82  Linux swap /
Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Command (m for help):

That's  a vfat p1: /dev/mmcblk0p1        794M  4.0K  794M   1% /media/card
root on p2 (500M ext3)
p3 (500M ext3, currently unused)
p4 128M swap
--