om-showroom half-serious task list

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Mon Sep 7 21:19:43 CEST 2009

Hi David!

Thanks a lot for your work! Looking forward to see the simple tool up & running!

Some comments inline.

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 6:26 PM, David Reyes Samblas
Martinez<david at tuxbrain.com> wrote:
> -Package filtering:using a config file to block some packages to be
> showed the showroom package selector in order to simplify the editors
> works.
>  I consider than devel, docs, fonts, plugins from main packages and
> libraries must not appear in a application showroom so using this
> principle I have reduced from 8215 to 510 using the filter criteria in
> a sql statement[2] on the shrunestable database

Looks good to me so far, I also had a look at the SQL statement and
looks good. Makes sense to filter away ~everything that is not a 'end
user application': filter away all libraries, fonts & stuff, jus like
you did. Any changes of posting a list of the 510 accepted packages to
a pastebin for example for us to see what gets through.

> Doubts on how to face the implementation of this:
> -two approaches:
>  -on the import itself, no include this on the database on import
>   -pros:small and more quick database
>   -cons:a package not imported will be not posible to be included in
> the showroom
>  -filter it on the showroom editor , build the sql query online using
> this "blacklist" file to retry the allowed packages to be included.
>   -pros:possible to disable/modify the filter by the editor and being
> able to include any package on the repo
>   -cons:big and slow? database, a bit more dificult to implement edit
> management part.
> This point is the first I will dedicate some time once the approach is
> decided, if no input received I will procced with the second approach

I don't know. But anywhere there needs to be the possibility to
upgrade the database as new apps are added to repository -> it needs
to be very automatic. To me it looks like that the filtering would be
easiest to do when importing not to bloat the database with unused
information.

> -Web application (om-showroom it self)
> Due the design is still pending I will start  development on an an
> ugly plain text  and html tables without care about, styles, colours
> or nothing image/look related , only focusing in that the info can be
> shown and edited

I agree - but use <div> -tags to make it easy to create a CSS
template. Or what do I know about web pages..

> For the first release
> -Welcome page
> -App Navigation:
>  -the categories will be predefined with the freedesktop.org Main
> registered ones[1], if the amount of apps of one category began to
> rise then a two level navigation will be implemented using the
> additional categories of freedesktop.org too.
>  -App Details:
>  -main screenshoot: a predef image will be shown if no one is uploaded
>  -Short description:based on the package description will be showed
> in the applications list during navigation, editable through
> application editor no mor e than 255 chars
> this release but in next ones with wiki formating style.
>  -package name, source and homepage inherited from packages info

Look good!

>  -comments
>  -voting

I'd be ready to drop this from the first version unless it's very easy
to implement. Don't spend too much time on this.

>  -more screenshots?(doubt if it will be included on this release)

One is good for the first release.

>  -additional links?(doubt if it will be included on this release)

One is good for the first release.

> -Editor page
>   -Form for edit all the above with
>        -Package filtering?(see Package filtering item above)
>        -Only apps with asociated package are allowed
>        -clear way to know which packages is already included and what
> are pending and what are rejected (must be included on the filter?)
>        -The fist time an app is included this description will be
> filled with the package description
>        -have in mind the future features, (multi-distro, multi-distro
> version.. etc)

Looks good.

> Well that's all for now, :) I hope my next mail will be with something
> to show, in spite it will be ugly :)

nice, nice!

Please have a look at this:
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/01/building-community-around-your-foss.html
 - I think it's vital that there are more people working on this than
you (and entil/Markus) alone!

I'd possibly drop themes away.. (regarding e-wm-theme- )