om-showroom half-serious task list

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Tue Sep 8 01:18:26 CEST 2009

2009/9/7 Joao Pinto <joao.pinto at getdeb.net>:
> Hello David,
> see my opinion below.
>
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 4:26 PM, David Reyes Samblas
> Martinez<david at tuxbrain.com> wrote:
>> Hi, heres is my "serious" proposal of task list for the firt release
>> of the showroom, also some doubt and comments, joao I need some
>> guiadance.
>>
>> -Package filtering:using a config file to block some packages to be
>> showed the showroom package selector in order to simplify the editors
>> works.
>>  this config file will contain a list of strings with wildcards and if
>> any package name meets one of this will not appear on the package
>> list.
>>  I consider than devel, docs, fonts, plugins from main packages and
>> libraries must not appear in a application showroom so using this
>> principle I have reduced from 8215 to 510 using the filter criteria in
>> a sql statement[2] on the shrunestable database
>>
>> Doubts on how to face the implementation of this:
>> -two approaches:
>>  -on the import itself, no include this on the database on import
>>   -pros:small and more quick database
>>   -cons:a package not imported will be not posible to be included in
>> the showroom
>>  -filter it on the showroom editor , build the sql query online using
>> this "blacklist" file to retry the allowed packages to be included.
>>   -pros:possible to disable/modify the filter by the editor and being
>> able to include any package on the repo
>>   -cons:big and slow? database, a bit more dificult to implement edit
>> management part.
>> This point is the first I will dedicate some time once the approach is
>> decided, if no input received I will procced with the second approach
>>

> We could use a mixed approach, the filters editable from the web
> frontend and stored on the db, however it's enforcement would be
> during import and filter updates by setting an is_visible flag on the
> packages. With  this approach we would be minimizing the impact of the
> filter matching on the real time queries.
I like it :), so this mean :
-modify a bit the core models/db to include this characteristic and
also both the opkg2sql and apt2sql to read the blacklist (if any) and
inform that new field
- modify the packages.py controller to filter is_visible false
packages, here is doubt, modify the main controller from
common/controller/packages.py or create an application specific
controller?

>> -Web application (om-showroom it self)
>> Due the design is still pending I will start  development on an an
>> ugly plain text  and html tables without care about, styles, colours
>> or nothing image/look related , only focusing in that the info can be
>> shown and edited
>>
>> For the first release
>> -Welcome page
>> -App Navigation:
>>  -the categories will be predefined with the freedesktop.org Main
>> registered ones[1], if the amount of apps of one category began to
>> rise then a two level navigation will be implemented using the
>> additional categories of freedesktop.org too.
>>  -App Details:
>>  -main screenshoot: a predef image will be shown if no one is uploaded
>>  -Short description:based on the package description will be showed
>> in the applications list during navigation, editable through
>> application editor no mor e than 255 chars
>> this release but in next ones with wiki formating style.
>>  -package name, source and homepage inherited from packages info
>>  -comments
>>  -voting
>>  -more screenshots?(doubt if it will be included on this release)
>>  -additional links?(doubt if it will be included on this release)
>> -Editor page
>>   -Form for edit all the above with
>>        -Package filtering?(see Package filtering item above)
>>        -Only apps with asociated package are allowed
>
> The current admin workflow already enforces this, you are only alloed
> to create application entries from packages.
I know but I want everybody  aware on this :)

>>        -clear way to know which packages is already included and what
>> are pending and what are rejected (must be included on the filter?)
>
> The current admin workflow already enforces this, you only see the
> packages which require an action, classification or application
> association and definition.
Ok yes, I have seen it on the admin of playdeb, this only reinforce my
thoughts than apt-portal is a good choice :)