Device Orientation API

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Tue Sep 8 01:39:13 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 08 September 2009 00:57:50 Dan Staley wrote:
> +1 for the proposed API.  I'd love a dbus message to be sent on portrait
> and landscape.
> Though I think you would probably need portrait, reversePortrait,
> landscape, and reverseLandscape (to specify which side of the device is
> "up" in each mode)

Right, a couple of people have reported that I've been missing the 3rd
parameter, thanks guys! :)

> However, I tend to think that this functionality probably wouldn't be as
> suited to something like mokomaze.
> More for applications that just want a few different positions to be
> notified on. (Like the proposed few)
> Applications that need finer granularity such as Mokomaze should probably
> still read the accelerometers directly.

Correct. dbus is still overhead, hence it would not be clever to just forward
the raw values, especially since an application that needs raw values is
almost always a full window, full concentration application -- hence not much
value (sic!) in distributing the values to other applications at the same
time.

The accelerometers will also fit nicely into the FSO Resource system.

Cheers,

:M: